Director of the Institute
Polenov Neurosurgical Institute is the oldest institution in Russia and the first scientific and practical neurosurgical institute in the world. It was opened in May 1926 on the initiative of professors Alexei Molotkov and Sergey Fedorov and has a long history of development. Polenov Neurosurgical Institute has been a branch of the Almazov National Medical Research Centre since 2014.
Today, the major research focus of the Institute is the development and implementation in clinical practice of innovative methods for the diagnosis and treatment of neurosurgical diseases. The Institute is proud to have more than 80 researchers who pursue the traditions of the Petersburg school of neurosurgery and actively develop basic and applied research in neurosurgery.
Over the past 4 years, the specialists of the Institute have published 245 articles in Russian and international journals with a total impact factor of 148.135, 23 monographs, 53 study guides, received 28 patents, gave 98 international presentations and 363 presentations at various Russian conferences.
- Pathoanatomical and pathophysiological developments associated with the fundamental issues in modern neurosurgery.
- Improving the methods of diagnosing, preventing and treating the complications and consequences of acute central nervous system (CNS) injury in adults and children.
- Studying the neurophysiological and pathogenetic mechanisms and improving the diagnostic system and functional neurosurgery for drug-resistant forms of focal, multifocal and generalized epilepsy in adults and children.
Training and education
The Department of Neurosurgery and Neurology of the Medical Education Institute provides clinical residency and PhD programmes in neurology and neurosurgery as well as continuing professional education programmes.
- Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery Group
Laboratory of Cerebrovascular and Spinal Vascular Surgery
Laboratory of Neuroprotection and Neurometabolic Disorders
- Study Group on Minimally Conscious State
Laboratory of Neurobiology and Psychology
Phone: +7 (812) 670-44-23 (help desk and consultation department)